Index of writing on hiring.
Having spent a fair amount of time giving hiring process advice, I wanted to collect my hiring advice into a single index. Read through until you find a section that applies for you, and then read that.
- If you don’t have an interview process with consistent interviews and interviewers, read Designing interview loops
- If you’re not sure where your loop is having issues, read Your hiring funnel and Modeling a hiring funnel with Systems library
- If managers are responsible for sourcing candidates and you have very few top of funnel candidates, read Cold sourcing: hire someone you don’t know
- If you’re extending offers to fewer than 20% of onsite candidates, read Getting to yes: solving engineering manager hiring loops that reject every candidate. If you’re having this problem for senior engineering leaders (Directors, Vice-Presidents, etc), read Interviewing senior engineering leaders
- If candidates are declining your offers for reasons other than compensation, read Closing calls: tell the best version of the truth
- If you’re still having trouble debugging your loop, read Some common hiring manager mistakes
If you run through that list and don’t find anything that applies to your challenges, feel free to reach out.