When I initially wrote my recent piece on modeling reliability,
I included the code inline at the end. This is a bit silly, since I wrote the
initial model in a Jupyter notebook, but it seemed short enough to just embed.
It took a try or two, but I put together the systems-explorations
repository and did the moderate debugging necessary to get it working, which means you can now
launch interactive notebooks of the system models I work on by following this link
and waiting for a few minutes for it to bootstrap.
I was planning to put together a simple app to make it easier for folks to use
the systems library without installing it
locally, and Binder is a surprisingly replacement for putting that together.
The one tricky bit I ran into was getting Graphviz installed, but it turns out Binder
for configuration, so all that ended up requiring was adding an apt.txt to the root
of my repository and adding:
Then it worked! The only other configuration is in the requirements.txt, which
did require a bit of tweaking to work. That came down to only pinning the core dependencies
not their recursive dependencies, since there were version mismatches between my
desktop where I pip freeze’d the requirements and the image where Docker was being
installed, and some of those were not uninstallable in the container, which led some
earlier builds to fail.