This is a continuation to the first entry on using Django and Yahoo's BOSS Mashup Framework, and takes our search service from something very small and ugly to something that is fairly usable.
I spent much of the day writing Mahou, which is the Japanese word for magic, and is now also a Yahoo! Boss Search Mashup Framework and Cappuccino (and Google App Engine, while we're at it) powered image search engine. It's a pretty interesting application, and even the least technical readers might enjoy playing around with it a bit.
I was trying to figure out how to delete items from an NSOutlineView with the delete key (and without simply binding the delete key to an NSButton), and it took a bit longer than necessary to figure it out. Here is a simple example that will hopefully help out those in a similar situation.
The second entry in the Introduction to BeepBeep series, this time we take a look at using Ajax with BeepBeep in an extremely simple and contrived example.
I like LifeFlow. I like it a lot, you'd hope so, because I'm probably the only person who seriously uses it. That said, there are a number of issues that make it difficult to work with, and they need to be resolved before the blog platform is genuinely usable.
Here is my first attempt at putting together some thoughts on a computer science paper, in this case Jim Gray's A Transaction Model from 1980. It is an excellent paper which pushed me to think about my current work project in a broader light, and also inspired some ideas about potential future side-projects to experiment with.
Comprehensive instructions on installing and setting up a local deployment of LifeFlow (for those who are moderately in the Django know). This should be all you need to get started using LifeFlow, but I will have another entry soon detailing the little tricks and tips that make LifeFlow helpful.
Erlang doesn't have a built in function for joining strings, and so I sat down to put one together quickly. A quick look at two different ways that join can be implemented.
Recently I have run into a few situations where I really wanted to avoid Markdown messing with segments of text, and there isn't a completely intuitive way to deal with that by default, so I put together a quick solution. And.. while I was at it I added some support for rendering Textile and ReST from within Markdown as well.
All Rights Reserved, Will Larson 2007 - 2013.